[CQ-Contest] OO Notices

Subject: [CQ-Contest] OO Notices
From: larryj@teleport.com (Larry Johnson)
Date: Sun Mar 10 16:44:26 2002
Back in the late early 70's time frame, I was busily trying to break a
pileup on 15-Meter CW. I hadn't gotten my Extra Class license yet (I
only had an Advanced), and was sending my call repeatedly with the rest
of the mob.

Several weeks later, I received a violation notice ("Reply in Duplicate
Within 10 Days!") from the FCC - I believe it was from the Spokane, WA
monitoring station. They noted that the band edge was 21.025 MHz for
Advanced Class licensees, and I had been observed operating on 21.02476
MHz. Of course, I replied immediately, and never heard anything further.

I learned several things from that FCC letter:

* The FCC had some good high-speed CW operators.
* The FCC's frequency readout was better than my Drake Twins with the
analog dial (which were "state of the art" gear back then.)
* The FCC was in the "enforcement" business back then.
* The FCC had lots of "free time" to cruise through the ham bands.
* The FCC guys probably did a big business during DXpeditions with their
"pink slips" (the one I got was white).
* The FCC probably had a few chuckles sending out the violation notices
since they knew that the hams receiving them really had just
"accidentally" been out-of-band ever so slightly.

I kept the letter so that I could frame it someday, hang it on the wall
in the ham shack, and be able to show visitors "how the FCC used to
work."

Where were the OO's, instead? I did get a couple of key-click notices
from them in the mid-1960's using my Heathkit DX-40 transmitter (and
eventually a postcard from the FCC!)

Oh, and yes, I did get through the pileup, and received the QSL card.
Funny thing though, the Callbook had mistakenly listed me as having an
"Extra" class license for a few years.....

Larry K7LJ
(K7VZH back then)