[CQ-Contest] Cable modem questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cable modem questions
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Mon Mar 11 07:40:08 2002
At 07:09 PM 3/10/2002 -0500, Gary J. Ferdinand W2CS wrote:

>First of all, you do not NEED a router. You might decide it's the best
>option, but it's not necessary.

I've been down these roads.  You need to check with your Internet provider,
a router may indeed be necessary. For example, AT&T Broadband charges an
additional fee ($9.95/month) to connect more than 1 computer (up to 3
actually) to the Internet (they call it Home Networking).  Using a router,
I can connect as many computers as I want without paying the additional fee
(they see the router as a single computer).  You can set up a gateway
computer and a hub and do the same thing, but then it needs 2 network
cards, must always be on, some software like AOL might not work through it,
etc.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com