[CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Wed Mar 13 10:35:07 2002
On 3/12/02 7:32 PM, James Neiger at n6tj@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>It's interesting to me how we seemingly think the Italians are the (1) only,
>or (2) mostly guilty of running power.

You right, but perhaps they are just the most egregious example.

I mean, I remember reading an article about an Italian M/M effort writeup
in NCJ. The author went to great lengths to describe all the equipment
used. However, he failed to mention any of the Alpha amplifiers which
were clearly visible in the station photographs.

I mean, who are we fooling here?

W7OT and I used to joke about one contest write up about the Lampusesa
"300W" amplifiers. After much debate, we decided that "300W" referred to
the FILAMENT power....

>Running super power gives those who do it a big advantage, yet we think it's
>funny?

Not at all. I'm all for the contest judges to start DQing and and all
such efforts.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901