[CQ-Contest] Re: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [Towertalk] More on Lightning protection
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Wed May 15 14:48:01 2002
I have heard these sorts of anecdotal accounts (including John's) from
time-to-time. I wonder if all the tall towers are somehow increasing the
capacitance between the cloud and the ground. Based on the relationship
Q = CV, the earth-to-ground potential V would drop given a fixed charge
in the cloud, if the cloud to ground capacitance were suddenly increased.
Perhaps this is too much of an oversimplification, but it does seem to me
like a plausible explanation for these anecodotal observations. What say
folks?

I wonder if this could be measured by current sensors placed around the
various towers in big installations like these?