[CQ-Contest] Fishy spots in WPX SSB

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fishy spots in WPX SSB
From: discreetly_confidential@yahoo.com (Chuck)
Date: Thu Apr 10 05:57:22 2003
While I also found the reported 'stats'
interesting, from a purely technical
perspective..

As others have noted.. it is IMPOSSIBLE, without
some verifiable methodology to confirm the
identity of a station who logs on to post, to
know if the poster is REALLY who they purport to
be.

At best.. the most you can do is state 'Someone
posting under XX3XX spotted such and such and
XX3XX is related to the spotted station in such a
manner'.

DQ'ing someone simply on the basis of reported
spots gets into a VERY hairy thicket of problems.

I have no problem with people spotting their
friends or stations that they recognize. Heck, if
we go after THOSE folks, we might as well
chastise, DQ, or cut off almost EVERY contest
Club in the United States!

SMC, PVRC, FRC, YCCC, NCCC (just to name a few of
the more well known ones) members ALL do it (me
too and will continue to do so).

The point is not whether or not a buddy spots a
station he frequents, or is a QSL manager for a
DX station, or even if they are a member of a
club.. the point is more related to HOW to handle
identification of people who spot.. (if you want
to truly engage in REALLY EFFECTIVE enforcement)

AND.. more importantly.. EDUCATING people as the
ethics and proprieity of the way things should be
done.

just my 65.4 cents worth.

73
Chuck K3FT