RE: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Usage - Will you use it???

To: "'R Johnson'" <k1vu@tmlp.com>,"'Darryl Wagoner'" <darryl@shecora.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] LoTW Usage - Will you use it???
From: "Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:21:17 -0400
Bob,

I *was* an advisor to ARRL during the design phase of LoTW, almost two years
ago. During that period, I refrained from making public comments about LoTW
because I was not an official spokesperson for ARRL and it would not have
been appropriate for a team member to discuss the project outside ARRL.

After the design phase, and during the development phase, I occasionally
provided advice to ARRL when they asked for it. Although I was no longer an
official member of the LoTW team, I continued to refrain from making public
comments about it. This was partly because it was not my place to speak for
ARRL and partly because there were still many implementation decisions to be
made and no one could speak about features without inviting lots of trouble
and confusion.

After LoTW was released, ARRL asked my opinion about one implementation
process they are considering. I am happy to offer up my opinion to them on
such matters, but that doesn't make me an official member of the LoTW team.

Now that LoTW has been released, there have been many e-mails on the
reflectors from people who need help understanding and using it. In areas
that I'm confident I understand, I have tried to supply some assistance. One
reason I'd like to do this on an informal basis is that it might help
offload the folks at HQ, who have a lot of LoTW tasks on their hands right
now. I've noticed that others who have studied TQSL and TQSLcert have
offered advice as well. Are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed to do
that because I participated on the design team?

Further, I don't think anything I wrote in the e-mail below could be
interpreted as expressing ARRL policy. The only controversial statement is
my revelation that during the design process we thought about how QSL
managers might need to use the system. I didn't say anything about the
decisions that were ultimately made in that regard. I said that I believe
some documentation will be published soon, but this isn't much different
from the numerous credible rumors posted on this reflector by
"semi-insiders". Everything else is either prefaced with "in my opinion" or
is an explanation of how the publicly accessible TrustedQSL programs work.

Also, I don't agree that ARRL should refrain from using public lists to talk
about LoTW. N1ND makes frequent posts to the CQ Contest reflector with
announcements, explanations, log checking issues, problem reports, news,
etc. Why shouldn't the LoTW staff do the same?

Finally, let's try to keep in mind that this hobby is still about "hams
helping hams", and this was the spirit in which my assistance was offered.

73, Dick WC1M