Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Conflict

To: K1PX@msn.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Conflict
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 13:57:50 EST
In a message dated 1/7/04 9:19:48 AM Pacific Standard Time, K1PX@msn.com
writes:

> My understanding is that the VHF contest occurs the weekend before the Super
> Bowl and the CQ160 contest is the last full weekend of the month.
>
> This year, the Super Bowl is the following weekend on Feb. 1st. I don't
> recall that a February date for the Super Bowl has occurred before.
>
> Many of my friends who operate 160 and VHF contests don't understand how
> this might happen. We recognize that no one is in charge or responsible for
> such
> schedules between the various organizations but certainly would want to, if
> anyway possible, avoid this type of situation again.

Your understanding is correct, and this year happens to be the one where the
last full  weekend of January falls on the earliest possible dates.  The NFL
juggled Super Bowl dates around this fact, and decided to put the game on
Sunday, February 1.  CQ and ARRL either didn't notice this, or chose to live
with
it and not change their regularly scheduled weekends.

> Any thoughts?

I'm going to pull out my laptop, hook it to the TS-830S, and run CQ 160 with
that.  The IC-746 and HTX-100/Transverters will be hooked to the ususal
logging computer and run the VHF Contest.  SO2C3R, here we come!  (Single Op, 2
Contests, 3 Radios).

Of course only the second night (and the last few hours Sunday, for those in
the eastern part of the country) of CQ160 overlaps with the VHF SS. Do note
that it is legal to simultaneously transmit (as a single op) on both 160 and
any
one VHF band.
So have fun, and when you are asked if you have any other bands, reply "160
and six through 432" (or whatever).

73  -  Jim  K8MR