Re: [CQ-Contest] Yanks in domestic contests: Please learn a bitabout yo

To: Dave <VO1AU@rac.ca>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Yanks in domestic contests: Please learn a bitabout your neighbours
From: K4SB <k4sb@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:45:22 +0000
Bill Turner wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 03:44:09 -0330, Dave wrote:
> >I always run into people whose profound
> >ignorance about us, their neighbours, irritates the bejeebers out of me:
> I have an idea:  Let's leave Canada out of all contests until they
> straighten out their impossibly complicated mess of provinces, RAC
> sections, territories, postal abbreviations and prefixes.
- - - - - - -

In the first place, both of the above are a little too harsh. And most
of the confusion comes from the writers of contest software. For
example, in the NAQP, I worked a couple of stations who gave me PEI.
WriteLog didn't know what PEI was, but it did know PE. And that's the
correct abbreviation in the NAQP.

And the information on prefixes in Canada is readily available.

On the other hand, I also am aggravated with US hams who can't even
name the 50 States, much less their postal abbreviations.

So perhaps a little truth exists on both sides.

But let's face it guys, Canada is our best friend in North America.
Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to learn a little more about our
friend.

73
Ed