Re: [CQ-Contest]re: NAQP and the (midwest)(south)east coast

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest]re: NAQP and the (midwest)(south)east coast
From: "Steve Root" <steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:43:45 -0000
I'll second what Kelly has to say.  DX propagation is slightly better in St.
Paul than in Winnipeg, but it's still very difficult from here.  For that
reason, domestic contests attract more participation from this part of North
America.  Any proposed changes to contest rules that make it into another DX
contest would be very unpopular in my neck of the woods.

Along the same lines, any domestic contest that includes 10 and 15 meters is
tough from here.  With the exception of the peak sunspot years, all we are
going to get is a little bit of N/S propagation.  In an NAQP, that puts us
several hundred QSO's behind in the first few hours.  And as others have
pointed out, it's not possible to make that up later in the contest on the
low bands.  The average Ham (if there is such a thing) probably has some
type of tribander on the roof, and low wires for 40 and 80.  They probably
don't have anything resembling a real 160 meter antenna.  This means that
they are reasonable effective on 10 and 15 meters, less so on 20 meters, and
are poorly equipped on 40, 80, and 160.  They may  limit their participation
only to the bands where they "get out".  If you are in that magic one-hop
skip distance (AZ, NM, TX, etc.) then you can really make hay on the high
bands.  If you're farther away it's tougher.  If you're too close, it is
frequently impossible.  If you're close (8 land, 9 land, 4 land) to these
guys, you can work them on the low bands. otherwise it's tough to either
hear them or get their attention.  I still think the best attitude to have
is to define your LOCAL competition and see how you stack up against them,
and stop worrying about WP3R or ZF2NT.  And have some fun!

See you all in Sprint, and I hope the skip on 20 is short this year :-)

73 Steve K0SR