RE: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14
From: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 07:34:04 -0500
>Jumping into a pileup when you don't know who you're calling is wrong.

devil's advocate mode on:

what if i believe i have the callsign correct, yet it turns out not to be?
then what happens?  my callsign, KB3KAQ, caused a little confusion during the
recent VHF Sweepstakes.  on more than a handful of occassions, stations
responding to my SSB CQ would have my call as KA3Q or KA3KQ.  the band
conditions were poor and my guess is the stations thought i was repeating my
again, when i was mid call sign. again, this happened more than half a dozen
times.

does that make the other ops arrogant?  does that make them any less of an
operator?  i think it makes them human and if band conditions are poor, these
things are to be expected.  of course, had i been working CW, i would not have
had this problem, right?

-steve hanlon
KB3KAQ