Re: [CQ-Contest] More FCC - 10 meters

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] More FCC - 10 meters
From: "Lee Hiers" <aa4ga@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:19:04 -0500
On 3 Feb 2004 at 7:32, Jamie Dupree wrote:

> This from the ARRL site - it gives a bit more info about the FCC efforts.
> It seems that they are going after both the truckers using the 10 meter
> band and some of the on-line sellers of non-certified CB radios that use 28
> MHz.
> --
> FCC Goes After Alleged 10-Meter Scofflaws
> NEWINGTON, CT, Feb 2, 2004

> Most of the transceivers in question carry brand names unfamiliar within the
> amateur community--such as Connex, Galaxy, General and Superstar. Radios
> being marketed as amateur gear are shown on the Unitronics/Pacetronics Web
> site displaying 27.185 MHz on the dial--CB channel 19.

I checked out their site.  They've got a picture of a radio
with two large LED digits reading "19", with a frequency
readout of "29.4351"!

A lot of these rigs are advertised as having 10 and 12
meter amateur bands.

And here's a funny quote from one of the rigs'
descriptions:

"Remember those rumors about cold solders? You don't have
to worry about that on these radios because it is virtually
impossible to have this kind of problem with a SMD circuit.
Why? With the old style circuit boards, components were
actually mounted through the board. The components were
then held in place by solder. On most radios there are over
3,000 solder joints. So you can see where the problems came
into play. With SMD technology, the components are actually
mounted on the surface of the radio. What does thi mean? No
cold solder!"

Fun, fun.

Has anyone noticed a bunch of SSB chatter on 10.000 Mhz?  I
went to check out WWV to set my clocks the other day and
could barely hear it over the Spanish-sounding QSO.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia