[CQ-Contest] Re: awsome upgrades to the 8 band vertical

To: shanlon@dnr.state.md.us
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: awsome upgrades to the 8 band vertical
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 07:28:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Steve,  Great to hear that you are upgrading your station.  As a competitive
Low Power contester using less than a 50 foot tower, I would like to offer a
couple of suggestions:

- For 40 meters, I would cut the dipole at the center of the band.  You should
get fine full band performance if you use heavy gauge wire like 12 or 10 AWG.
- For 80 Meters, I would use W9WI's suggestion of ropes that are easily
accessible to clip in and out a CW wire leg.  I would tune the CW assembly for
3550 and SSB for 3800.  You don't want to sacrifice mismatch loss at the
antenna on 80, especially with a low dipole.

Are you interested in developing the station into a competitive SO2R setup some
day for DX contests?  If so, consider that you may want to change that
tribander now or later to a C31XR with individual feeds for each band.  You
could always mount the A3 at 30ft to the south later.  I would be very prudent
in adding LOTS of 160 radials from the base of the tower to make the antenna
you are referring to effecient on 160M.

Finally, consider what other resources in the way of trees, you may have on
your lot.  I have a phased dipole array on 40M at 50ft into EU which is
suspended between 2 trees which gives nice gain into EU (around 3dB over a
single dipole which isn't bad when you consider that the typical "shorty 40"
beam is 4.2dBd).  You may also want to consider something with vertical
polarization on 80M.  An inverted L with a 5/8 wave radiator is what I use
here.  Why?  It minimizes ground losses with a higher feedpoint impeadance (I
still have 8 elevated radials).  I feed it with 450 Ohm ladder line to a tuner
in the shack (solves the CW/SSB problem).

Good luck and feel free to keep asking great questions.

73,

Ed  N1UR  (NV1N in WPX)