[CQ-Contest] Practice RAC Canada Day, June 24

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Practice RAC Canada Day, June 24
From: Ken Keeler <kenkeeler@jazznut.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:43:29 -0700
NCCC invites all contesters, especially north Americans and Canadians to participate in our weekly practice contest on Thursday night from 0340-04Z (Friday). This week, on June 24 local times, we feature the RAC Canada Day Contest, the real event happening on June 30 for North Americans (0000Z to 2359Z on July 1, 2004).

Objectives:
1. To provide a chance to get your logging software and station switching set up & debugged well ahead of the real contest.
(How many of you have been seriously burnt by not doing this necessary contesting step?)
2. Familiarize yourself with the contest routine - it's unusual with the two mode, all-band structure.
3. Contesting and CW practice for those who can't get enough on the weekend events!

The RAC contests (Canada Day in July and Canadian Winter contest in December) have long been favorite contests for me (N6RO) and a few other NCCCrs. Why? It's an all band (160-2M), CW & SSB (work the same station on both modes on each band), which dictates that you be very AGILE (Using two 1000MPs, you can actually attempt SO4R!). It's a 24 hour contest, but little activity during the typical North American night, so a full effort is usually about 18 hours. You can work EVERYBODY, but Canadians count five times as much as Ws and DX, and RAC stations count TEN times as many QSO points, so you should emphasize looking for/soliciting Canadians. Multipliers (Canadian) count on each band-mode, so there's another challenging aspect. There are HP, LP and QRP categories, and it's a friendly, somewhat laid-back event. Full rules and information, like suggested frequencies can be found at: http://www.rac.ca/opsinfo/infocont.htm. From that page you can download a .pdf page with complete rules.

To get an idea of what scores are like in the real Canada Day, check the 3830 Archives for July, 2003: http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/2003-07/index.html

For the practice contest we'll use regular RAC contest rules, including suggested frequencies. Note that most 80m SSB is below 3800. I suggest we center around 3775 in the practice event. I doubt that 10 and 15m will be productive in our 20 minute practice, but summer condx suggest that 20m may be open. We're sorry these practice contests are so late for the eastern/central time zones, but realize that in summer, NCCC territory sunset is about the start of the contest - 0340Z. Most of our contacts will be on the low bands.

We hope that a few Canadians will jump into this practice, to illustrate the importance of QSOs with VEs to your score in the real contest. Please join us on 3853 at 04Z for the NCCC Thursday night net; score collection for the practice contest, and discussion about RAC and other contesting issues.

Have fun,

N6RO, N6ZFO, N6DE