Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting headset?

To: "CQ-Contest" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting headset?
From: rin JG1VGX <jg1vgx@jarl.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:49:58 +0900
I also wished something different from everyone's ProSet, so I searched
around and recently obtained AKG's headset.
http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,186,id,259,pid,259,_language,EN.html
My impression is:

PRO
- was cheaper than ProSet here in JA
- looks more rugged and using better materials (beautiful!)
- headphones sound better for me

CONS
- biggest problem is much LOW MIC GAIN, not to mention with the ICOMs
I'm using preamp w/equalizer to compensate this. Without amp, TX mic
gain need to be 80-100% open.
- comes with open end cables, but this is ok you can build as you like
- mic arm is flexible goose neck, but its root is fixed and not
rotatable (stays in left side only)

I've used it in two big contests and so far I'm very, very satisfied.

This model is the one with dynamic mic and there is another one with
condenser mic which requires phantom powering and a little more
expensive.

rin JG1VGX ( no $ with AKG)

k-zero-hb> My Heil "ProSet" headset is due for a replacement (hopefully b4 SS
phone
k-zero-hb> this weekend).
k-zero-hb>
k-zero-hb> Have been pretty satisfied, but always on the lookout for something
better.
k-zero-hb> Has anyone here used the newer "ProSet Plus ic" (for Icoms)?  How do
they
k-zero-hb> compare to the older version?  Does the earphone phasing switch do
anything
k-zero-hb> useful?
k-zero-hb>
k-zero-hb> Any other commonly available models that you'd recommend (which are
k-zero-hb> compatible with the quirky Icom mic circuit)?
k-zero-hb>
k-zero-hb> 73, de Hans, K0HB