Re: [CQ-Contest] Check in SS

To: kd4d@comcast.net,"Cq-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Check in SS
From: Ed Parish K1EP <k1ep@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:47:32 -0500
At 11/22/2004 09:12 AM, kd4d@comcast.net wrote:
>I had this problem a LOT.  People are saying "sixty five".  That sounds
>identical to "fifty five."  SIX FIVE and FIVE FIVE don't sound much alike.

I agree with you on this, but I can also add, that saying both will sometimes
get through too.  Just like changing the phonetics on your call.  I prefer the
single digits though.  Especially those who say, "Number one hundred fifty
six".  If I hear one hundred, I type 100.  For my check, I would say "SEVEN
ZERO" and if asked for a fill, would give "SEVEN ZERO...SEVENTY", which got
through.

Of course, I gave my section as "November Hotel" or "New Hampshire", depending
upon how I felt at the time.  It was interesting how some heard it as Eastern
Massachusetts.  Hard to confuse those two.  :)