Re: [CQ-Contest] Radiosports for the 21st Century

To: CQ-Contest MailList <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radiosports for the 21st Century
From: asciibaron@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:25:14 +0000
Before the ARRL SS SSB, i evaluted my station and my skills and determined what
my goal was going to be based on those factors.  I was going to be competing
against the previous year's top 5 in the MDC section in the SOLP unassisted
category.

I deteremined the number of QSO's and MULTS i needed to log to make it to one
of the top 5 places in last year's contest.  200 QSO's and 70 MULTS for a total
score of 28,000 would put me at number 5.  That was my goal and I surpassed it
with a total of 423 QSO's and 76 MULTS more than doubling my score goal.

I don't have the skills needed to make a run for the top 5 SOLP unassisted yet
- but by setting a realistic goal each year, I hope to make it there.  Sure I
can blame a poor score on living on the East Coast in the Mid-Atlantic region.
I can blame having a 100w signal into a 35' tribander and wires for the low
bands.  I can blame a poor score on not having my Extra ticket and not being
able to work down low on the bands.  I can blame a low score on a number of
things, but does that make me a better operator or person for that matter?

I am beginning to set my goals for the coming ARRL 10m contest.  I know I have
a  simple station - no stacks, no amp, no years of previous experience to help
guide me.  But I'm going to get on the air and work as many stations as I can.
I know I can't compete against the more experienced stations in my category
unless I build my skills, and ultimately isn't this what we must do in order to
win or to be successful in other areas of life?

I am the high school team up against the Yankees or if you prefer, the Red Sox.
 Either way, I'm going to the slaughter, but that's what it will take for me to
become competitive in the future.   I will do well simply because I am working
to beat a personal goal.  At some point that personal goal will take me to the
leader board.

I may not become a national or international contender (or I might) but that is
not my goal - I am first and foremost competing against myself and then against
my local peers.  If I can place high in my section, than I know I am on the
right track.

-Steve Hanlon
KB3KAQ