RE: [CQ-Contest] ID for TS950

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] ID for TS950
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:21:18 -0800
There are three TS-950S radios:

1.  TS-950S

2.  TS-950S Digital

3.  TS-950SDX Digital

Radio 1 has no DSP and no hump.  Radios 2 and 3 have the DSP module or
"hump" on the bottom.  The front panels of each radio is marked as above.
"TS-950S" or "TS-950SDX" on the left side of the front panel and "Digital"
(or nothing) on the right side.

At one time, I think the DSP feature could be purchased as an add-on option
and fitted to radio 1, but the front panel would still say only "TS-905S"
even though it would then be the same as the TS-950S Digital model,
effectively radio 2.

To further confuse, some people often referred to radio 2 (or an upgraded
radio 1) as the "TS-950SD" which was never a Kenwood model name.

73,
Ed - W0YK