[CQ-Contest] Time for a fix

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time for a fix
From: "Valeri Stefanov" <wally@el-soft.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:09:57 +0200
Pat,

I have suggested changes in CQ 160m contest rules back in 1980ies ( 1987 or
so)
In fact I was the first one who suggested Grid Squares as a multiplier for
this contest when I was one of 160m column editors for RADIOSPORTING -
journal published in these times by VE3BVM (now K3BU).

Unfortunately there was no sign that CQ listened to my suggestion then.
Fortunately my idea partially has seen the world in Stew Perry Long Distance
Chalenge contest later.

Change of rules in CQ 160m should have been made many years ago and will be
greatly appreciated by many contesters  for sure.

I think the suggestion for CQ zone as exchange and relating the points to
the distance covered in every QSO  is a very good idea. Even better than
mine for Grid Squares as multipliers. Having CQ zone as exchange and
multiplier will make things more simple and fun, while using the Grid
Square to help calculating  the final scores will make final results much
more real.

Such approach will encourage many guys with Inv Vee and 100W to
switch on the radio and make few contacts trying to chalenge their own
longest distance covered on top band.

With good condx on 160m for next few years - IT IS TIME for a change :-)) !

73 ,Wally LZ2CJ