Re: [CQ-Contest] ham radio is dead?

To: W0uo@cs.com, w7dra@juno.com, macklinbob@msn.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ham radio is dead?
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:18:28 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2005 5:57:09 PM Central Standard Time, W0uo@cs.com
writes:

thought  that there must be a purpose in order for us to take the time to
communicate.  Shooting the bull, exchanging reports, rigs, weather, etc  can
get
old after awhile.  For most of us this amounts to contesting and  DXing or
working for some other kind of award, which often places us in  competition
with
others.  Wouldn't it be nice to have an activity that  doesn't place us in
such direct competition?

I never feel like I'm competing with anyone but myself, and I think  many of
the members of the contesting community feel the same.  Sure, it  feels good
to break a pileup or find yourself in a top ten box, but that is  merely a
reflection of being your best, not "beating" someone else.

To put it another way, I have never known a contester to get angry at the
other guy for being beaten out for a Q, a mult, or even a score.  Virtually
all
the good contesters I know beat themselves up for not doing better, and then
work the tails off to fix the problem, improve their operating, enhance their
 station and antennas.  We hold the best operators in awe, not in  contempt.
This desire to improve helps the hobby, contesting and ham  radio will not be
dead until ops stop trying to win.

73, Paul, K5AF

Paul  Schaffenberger
210-493-6265