Re: [CQ-Contest] W2SC - 48 hours

To: "Scott Robbins" <w4pa@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W2SC - 48 hours
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:25:37 -0700
Kind of how I see it:  it's simply no big deal, either way.

But I agree with Tom W2SC, after decades of doing 48 straight, I'm finding
it easier with age.  Mental, definitely.  The more you do it, the better you
get.

Like other fondly remembered past-times.  (Actually I was remembering
playing baseball).

What we're doing is mediocre compared to what Lance Armstrong is doing.
Cancer beater, and then pulls off seven straight.  I'll wager that many of
his younger competitors have more physical skills and stamina.  But it's in
the mental department that Lance shows his mettle.  Once he figured out how
to get the first few wins, the advantage over the competition became huge.

And for those who still yearn for the 'level playing field', it simply will
never exist.  Don't limit yourself with 36 hour band openings, just get on
an airplane like Tom, me, Jose, Redd, Goetz, Glenn, Norton, Trey, Steinman,
Crovelli, Big Al (D4B - for those not knowledgeable of Al's stature),  Jim
Sullivan, Ville, Pekka, Martti, etc etc (too many to give credit to).

And you can set your own goals and limitations.  If you think you 'can cut
the mustard', go play with the big dogs.  If you just want to go run some
pile-ups, that's OK too.  Some may even find the 36 hours out of 48 format
to their liking.

Kind of like my NYU class-mate Griff Morgan opined many years ago:  "If you
don't have enough on the ball, get a smaller ball".

Meanwhile, I'm looking to working many of you in October (ZD8Z) and November
(9Y4AA). Forty-eight hours, natch.  Always testing to see if I can still cut
the mustard....And in any event, it's simply no big deal, but ALWAYS lots of
fun.  Forget competing, just go have some fun.

Vy 73

Jim Neiger  N6TJ