Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: "'Jim Rhodes'" <k0xu@iowadsl.net>, <CQ-CONTEST@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list2@towncorp.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:17:58 -0400

I setup a verified PayPal account and a verified eBay account, both of which
need security, (one of which has my money,) and I did it in one sitting in
just a few minutes in one day!  LOTW is not a BANK!

The truth is that, in spite of all LOTW's security, it is far more difficult
to steal an award from eQSL than it is to steal one from the ARRL.  I agree
that they need some form of reasonable level of security so accounts are
more difficult to setup than hotmail accounts, but it doesn't have to be
Fort Knox.

I think one of the best security measures available for either electronic
QSL bureau would be to post the logbooks out in the open for everyone to
inspect.  It won't take long before someone would notice discrepancies in
logbooks of those trying to fraudulently obtain awards.

There is no perfect method that someone won't find a way to cheat.  One
doesn't need to be too concerned over an occasional fraud, after all, what
are these people getting by cheating?  A piece of paper that it taken to the
local waffle house along with $2, would get them a cup of coffee.