Re: [CQ-Contest] Typing practice

To: David Robbins K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Typing practice
From: Don Field <don.field@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 18:39:15 +0100
Not all contest adjudicators rely 100% on automation. For CQWW it is
understandable that they have gone this way, because the task is huge. With
the IOTA contest, which I manage, we use automated checking to highlight
potential busted QSOs, but no QSO is actually busted by a machine - the
final decision is made by a human being - some sort of ancient chemical
processor, rapidly being rendered obsolete. And the task is a big one - we
have typically 250k QSOs in the database (with CQWW I would guess it's over
a million). If 3% of QSOs are broken, that's about 8,000 QSOs that have to
be eyeballed, a pretty big task. But obviously more and more can be done by
software each year - for example, the code to check whether a busted "O"
might actually have been a legitimate "zero" can't be more than a few
characters.

Don G3XTT
IOTA Contest Manager