Re: [CQ-Contest] Pay to Play

To: CQ-Contest Post <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Pay to Play
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:46:44 -0400
I wish it weren't so.

Amateur sailors, golfers, fisherman, runners, card players, chess players,
Scrabble [tm] players and those involved in so many more competitive avocations
frequently pay a reasonable fee to cover administration of their events. I'm
sure those fees are an impediment to some, but there are still enough players
left to keep those events fully subscribed and competitive.

It's too bad that ham radio contests don't draw really big interest in the
first place. This is evidenced by the smallish numbers of competitors in each
category of competition. It's also too bad that so many of those who are
involved in ham radio contesting don't have enough desire/motivation/drive to
overcome a justifiable entry fee. Given this situation, I feel that this
approach which works so well in other areas of amateur competition would be a
dismal failure in ham radio contesting.

I wish it weren't so.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR