Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed Rule Change - CQWW PHONE

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Proposed Rule Change - CQWW PHONE
From: "Jose Valdes" <jvaldesr@cantv.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 14:14:39 -0000
Hello Steve and every one in the list,

I have been following your proposal with interest and would like to see some
more elaborated reasoning.

For instance, why are you proposing these rules?

Why limit SSB and not CW?  if in region 1 CW is allowed between 7000 and
7100, to be fair phone should also be allowed in the same segment.

Why you say that we currently have a "mess" in the band?

How may high power European station can we accommodate between 7040 and
7100?

How may high power European station are currently active in the CQWW SSB
contest?

How may low power European station are currently active in the CQWW SSB
contest?

If we limit the segment to 7040 - 7100,  and all the high power station
remain there, what space is left for the low power ones?

Further more, a restriction to 7040 - 7100 for TX to European stations may
create another problem, to be able to keep the frequency and compete with
other stations for it, some may simply increase their power to 3 KW or more,
in consequence they will require more bandwidth further reducing the
available space.

If it is fair for stations in other parts of the world to go below 7040 why
is not fair for Europeans? And for that matters, why FCC licensed stations
in the continental US, east of the 130 degrees west of longitude and north
of the 20 degrees north of latitude, can't operate SSB below 7150? The band
plan should not be different for US and Canadian stations.

In the US CW is allowed form 7000 to 7300, them why phone is restricted to
7150 - 7300?
If CW operator can go above 7150, them, and to be to be fair, phone ones
should be allowed to go below 7150.

Fair game must be the main goal, the rules should not favor some in
detriment of others, and further more, FCC and ARRL should revise  the
current frequency allocation in the 40 meters band for continental US
stations.

For what I can see the so called "mess" is caused by the current limited
space in the band for region 1 and a poor frequency allocation for the
different mode, contest activity from Europe in 40 meters is very high, just
take a look at the scores from pass years and you will se that, as it is
right now, it is impossible for all those European station to stay between
7040  and 7100, there is simple not enough room for them, less alone if they
have to compete for it with stations from the rest of the world.

73/DX Jose M. Valdes R. (Joe) YV5LIX
eQSL.cc Advisory Board Member
QSL manager EA7FTR
SYSOP YV5LIX DX Cluster