[CQ-Contest] zero pointers - flaw in the analysis?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] zero pointers - flaw in the analysis?
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:44:41 -0500
Rick, et al:

I don't believe that you should figure out how many hours were wasted by using
the methodology you described; specifically, by finding your average rate per
hour and dividing total zero pointers by that rate.

This number can be misleading in either direction.

If the zero pointers called you during a high rate period, then the "time
wasted" is much less.

Equally, if the rate was very slow when the zero pointers called, then you
likely didn't "lose" any time at all...you just were able to "keep the
frequency" or able to "prevent the op from getting bored and/or not paying
close attention."

You have the logs....check it out, if you are so inclined.  It may give you
some peace of mind.

As for dupes, you are assuming that they have you in their log.  Some
percentage (who knows what) may not have had you in the log or had your call
wrong.  Or maybe they worked someone near your frequency but not you...so this
your change to avoid a NIL....and may be not as much of a negative as you
think.  It is a fact of life.

I can't help but feel that calls ending in "dits" are troublesome.  I think
N6AA did an analysis of this at some point (how many different iterations of
calls with E, I, S, H were worked who were actually the same guy.  Might be why
a callsign such as UP has less of the garbage you mention.

This is all very interesting (and very esoteric) stuff.

Well, best of luck in the next (not that you need luck).

de Doug KR2Q