[CQ-Contest] 40 meters on Saturday evening

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40 meters on Saturday evening
From: Paul Roche <rochep@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:41:02 -0500
Last night I "answered" at least 3 guys, send exchanges, and waited. Deleted
it and went on CQing. Only after the third time this happened did I realize
that the "caller" was outside the main 3Y0X pile-up all the way up at 7045
kc. I gave up after this, and ended with only 3 or 4 Qs for the whole
practice.

This will be a big problem on Saturday night, the pile-ups seem to be
getting WORSE, not better. I am new to Sprints but hanging out in the extra
portion, and about 7045, sounds like a good plan. They are also on 80 meter
CW, and the pile-ups also extend past 3530. Should we do the same strategy
for 80 meters? HOPEFULLY 20 meters will be open at least a little on the
East coast.

paul K3STX

>From about 0100 to 0300 UTC, 40 meters should be very interesting.  There
will likely be 3 major events all taking place at the same time - and the
band will be very crowded.

The three activities are the RTTY contest - the CW Sprint and the 3Y0PI
pileup (or whomever it is that has that pileup - they never send their
call).

In the past, the CW Sprinters have moved down the band and things worked
out.  However, there is likely going to be a hornets nest of stations
calling
the 3Y from 7025 up to about 7045.   Just this evening, I worked them when I
was on 7042.

I suspect you will find the CW Sprint operators splitting their time between
the extra band and up above the RTTY activity.

Just a heads up so you won't be totally shocked when you QSY from 20 meters
down to 40 and wonder what the heck is going on.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net