Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. Bafoofnik

To: "Ellen White, W1YL" <w1yl@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dr. Bafoofnik
From: "Robert King" <w3gh@kiski.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:48:17 -0400
Dear Ln,

It is dr. Bafoofnik-not Dr. He is a dr. of proctology!  No, No, Just
kidding!

Spike aka dr. Bafoofnik-W9XR is a special friend of mine.  He trapped me
into
serious contesting in the early 90's and continued to do so for ten years.
We were
burning out spending every weekend from early fall to late spring doing the
best we
could contesting! Other days were spent upgrading the station -
experimenting with
antennas - burning out equipment rx es tx - telling lies - consuming way to
much Schnapple
and greasy food - occasionally winning now and then in SS as multi-op. etc.

Spike had a heart condition, which he never mentioned to me, while we were
out
doing all this antenna work he was popping nitro pills to keep up! He
encouraged me
to experiment and build a three element 40 meter yagi so we could try to win
the
CQWW contest single band forty meter cw category. And we did in mid 90's!
He spent
hours grinding out data on a slow computer with W7EL's antenna modeling
program.
The antenna he designed still towers over my TH7 at 85 feet and commands
respect.
After that, he convinced me to build an 80 meter model to install at 170
feet.  Hours of
modeling and building elements and hardware fab we almost got it going.
However,
I lost interest and it never made it off the ground.  It was his dream to
have a beeg signal
on 75/80 meters from W3GH too.  I'm sorry Spike I let you down!
I sorta lost touch with him for awhile and one day he visits me after his
major heart bypass
surgery looking several years younger and rarin' to go - to Vegas of course!

Spencer (dr. Bafoofnik) can be reached at slazar19@earthlink.net . I just
got off the
with him a few minutes ago and told him about your trips to Vegas.  He would
be delighted
hearing from you. We had a great conversation about many things.

His embroidred dr. Bafoofnik caps are rare these days.  The last one I saw
was in the
Smithsonian next to Mr. Rogers sweater.

Ellen, this will give you a tiny bit of my association with the dr.  He's a
super ham and a great friend!
I just have to jump on a plane soon and learn how to win? at blackjack in
Vegas-Or dine on
prime rib and lobster...-.-

73/88

Bob W3GH aka Green Hornet

I was out of contact with him for awhile and one day he came to visit after
he had gone
through  major heart bypass surgery.  He had lost quite a few pounds and was
raring to go!
But coudn't convince him of serious contesting again.