[CQ-Contest] LWCC - Low Wires Contest Club

To: prickler.schneider@t-online.de, CQ-Contest@Contesting.com,daleputnam@hotmail.com, xdavid@cis-broadband.com, W8ZC@aol.com,Peter.Dintelmann@Dresdner-Bank.contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] LWCC - Low Wires Contest Club
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:33:15 EST
To All:

I had some interesting responses to the Low Wires Contest Club post, my
original post on the subject is below.

A couple of questions that came up (paraphrased):

Q:  Why no high power category?  A:  It was thought  originally that most
activity would be low power, but the club is not restricted  in any way to low
power.

Q:  Magnetic loops and/or aluminum verticals OK?  A:   Absolutely!  As long
as they meet the overall size restrictions listed  below.

Anyone else who is interested in the club or has questions, please let me
know.

Original Proposal for the club:

The purpose for starting this club is to encourage  participation  in
contests
and competition among contesters with either  budget constraints  or
covenants
(or even a very fussy XYL) that only  allow them to have single  element wire
antennas (definition expanded  below).  The proposed club  would enter teams
(probably with no  realistic hope of winning) mostly for the  camaraderie,
fun
and  personal improvement.

I would define a low wire antenna as a  single element antenna, with a
height
of no more than 50' and a length  no longer than a half wave at the lowest
band operated (about 250' for  160M).  The wire can be an L, a dipole, a
vertical (aluminum  okay), a vertical or horizontal loop, an inverted  V,
Windom or
any  other antenna that meets the single-element and height and  length
limitations  Multiple antennas are ok, no limit per se on the  area  the
antennas must
occupy.  Antennas can be used on as many  bands as  desired.

In that the antennas are pretty basic and low,  power categories would
probably be low power and QRP, either SO1R or  SO2R.  At the end of the
contest,
members would submit claimed  scores which would be compiled in club  email.
Members would be  encouraged to share information on their antennas,  and any
other
operating challenges (stealth appearance, RFI, etc).   Official  final scores
would be those published by the contest sponsor.

I would  hope to find folks around the country that operate under these
restrictions, and put together national or regional teams if  participation
allows.
I think this might be a good way to recognize a  lot of folks that  otherwise
might not receive a lot of attention, and  also promote basic contest
operation and participation.  We might  be able to sponsor a mailing list
with
archives, or even a  website.

I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions you might have  regarding this
endeavor.

Paul, K5AF