[CQ-Contest] Definition of Non-Assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Definition of Non-Assisted
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:00:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Could someone from both the ARRL and CQ Contest Committees comment on this
statement being accurate?

"Actually a better way to put this would be "using the internet to solicit
contacts" which is what you are doing if your radio spots come from the
internet, as is common practice now, but for some reason the name "packet"
still remains.  Technically if you had your old 2M radio, TNC and computer
terminal connected to a ham packet node, you would not be violating the
rule." from Mark, N5OT

A packet connection to an internet server is "communicating by radio means"?  I
certainly hope not.

How many non-assisted ops are using this interpretation of this rule I
wonder....

Ed  N1UR