[CQ-Contest] Single-Op

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single-Op
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:20:46 -0000
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>

> So where does one draw the line?  If I have a bunch of
> guys help raise my towers and antennas am I assisted?
> Using a computer and or computer logging is assistance.
> SCP is assitance, a keyer is assitance.

Mike is right.  Almost every station component or
accessory, whether hardware or software, represents
assistance of some kind or other.

But not all assistance is equal.  The difficulty is to
define a clear boundary for acceptable assistance in SO
entries.

I'd suggest that any assistance is OK for SO unless it's
external assistance.

Please consider this definition - I'm sure it could be
improved.

   SO - The operator must not avail of operating, logging
   or external assistance during the contest period.

   External assistance is “information from any source,
   other than that in the possession of the operator at
   the starting time of the contest, sought or acted upon
   with the intent or potential to increase the operator’s
   score".

   Exception: Information obtained by the operator in the
   normal course of listening and logging on the band(s)
   and mode(s) corresponding to the operator's entry class
   is not external assistance.

What is this intended to mean?

1. The operator does all his/her operating.

2. The operator does all his/her logging - no recording
   equipment, or massaging the log after the contest
   using external information.

3. Information or data in the possession of the operator
   at the start of the contest is OK.  This includes
   callsign/name and SCP databases.  It includes any
   files, lists or software used to auto-fill exchange
   fields, whether publicly available or otherwise. It
   includes propagation software - but does not permit
   updates during the contest (with up-to-date
   information).

What does it not permit? A few examples.

1. Packet or other spotting networks.

2. Using any band, mode, or technology, other than
   those corresponding to the operator's entry class,
   to solicit QSOs.

3. Soliciting external information.

4. Acting on unsolicited information from friends.

5. Accessing real-time scoreboards.

What does it permit?  A few examples.

1. Real-time reception of propagation information from
   Amateur Radio beacons.

2. Replacing or fixing any hardware or software during
   the contest. (this is not external information)

3. Having a bunch of guys help raise towers and antennas,
   including turning them as you require, but not having
   them give you operating advice.

4. Anyone assisting your general welfare - so long as
   external information is not sought or given.

What do you think?

73,
Paul EI5DI