Re: [CQ-Contest] Life in the World of Packet

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Life in the World of Packet
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:23:39 -0700
I normally don't have anything against packet/cluster spots in a
contest.  If the rules allow it who am I to complain, but I discovered a
new reason to dislike it during this contest.  I operated this one
unassisted and several times came across stations who wouldn't identify
for very long stretches.  I have always thought that is rude behavior (I
lose opportunities for other contacts while I wait to avoid a dupe), but
in all honesty the DX didn't really need to ID.  In virtually each case,
a steady string of new callers would show up on frequency that hadn't
been there since the last time the DX identified.  It's pretty easy for
someone to see the spot, come up on frequency, and figure out which
signal is the DX without ever hearing him ID.  There's rarely a lull
that requires the DX to identify, and rude behavior gets reinforced.

Dave  AB7E

Jimk8mr@aol.com wrote:
> Two stories from my chair time at K8AZ in the ARRL CW test this  weekend.
>
> 1.  I can't say there is any connection, but early Sunday on 15  meters I
> heard a weak but copyable OE4A CQing away.  Several  calls got a "?" and one
> even
> a "K?" but no qso.  So I spotted him  anyway.  Maybe a minute later, I called
> him again and he came right  back.  Hmmmmm????
>
> 2.   Later Sunday morning I had been running around 21055  when a rather loud
> station starts up with a string of dashes, with varying  signal strength
> indicative of someone tuning an amp.  Then a very loud  7X0RY starts CQing
> away.
> Well, I figure no point in fighting, I'd just get my  qso (and new
> multiplier)
> and move on.  So I did, and moved up about a  KHz, and resumed CQing.  I kept
> checking back to see how soon a packet  pileup would ensue, but to my
> surprise, none did. Lots of unanswered CQs.   I only heard one other station
> work him
> (K2NV), and never did see any spots for  him.
>
> I guess even rare guys need packet help.
>

> And nothing much to do with packet, but 557/N3BNA sure was an  interesting
> callsign.
>

> 73   -   Jim    K8MR

save the cheerleader ... save the world