Re: [CQ-Contest] Sabbat ?

To: "Laurent Ferracci" <l.ferracci@comeca-group.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sabbat ?
From: "David Kozinn, K2DBK" <dkozinn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:17:12 -0400
The (non-authoritative; I'm not a rabbi) answer would be that an observant
Jew would not be permitted to operate during the entire period of Shabbat
(or Sabbath), which runs (approximately) from sundown on Friday night until
sundown on Saturday night. (It's actually a bit longer than that, but I'm
not familiar enough with the technicalities to remember exactly how long
before through how long after). The sort of underlying reason is that
Shabbat is supposed to be a day of rest, and regardless of how relaxing many
of us find using our radios, there are more stringent rules about
specifically what can and cannot be done. If nothing else, you are not
supposed to use any type of device that uses electricity, which does make it
pretty tough to operate a radio.

With that said, there are many Jews who are somewhat less observant who may
well ignore these prohibitions and do whatever they feel like doing, pretty
much like folks who belong to any other religion.

73,
     David, K2DBK