[CQ-Contest] Remote Madness - part deux

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remote Madness - part deux
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:57:54 -0700
> When we apply this same idea to contesting, we run into the rules for the
> contest. I would have never thought of the idea that if the station and
> antennas are located within a specified circle, that this might not include
> the operator. I guess that I wasn't looking closely enough. Frankly, with
> the present technology, no one should be very concerned that remote stations
> are going to effectively compete anyway.

I look at it as both something to help me do DXing on 160 meters when the
urban growth boundary makes it hard for me to continue to hear weak signals
in a year - and a way to operate a contest that I might not have otherwise
been able to operate.

For example, I always hated to be down in LA at the in-law's house during
the CQ WW CW contest - because I might miss a new country on 160 meters.

Now, I can setup my station ahead of time and get on the air and hand out
some QSOs.

I feel that most anything that enables people to get on the air and hand
out some QSOs is a GOOD thing.  It helps activity and promotes the contest.

True - with today's technology, it is hard to imagine someone being very
competitive operating remotely - and maybe that is a good thing.  But for
the vaste majority of the competitors - who are not totally serious - this
might be their only option.

I hope when I am in an old folk's home, that I can still operate CW contests
using a laptop.

Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net