Re: [CQ-Contest] New ham radio contesting web site

To: Yuri Onipko <ve3dz@rac.ca>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New ham radio contesting web site
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp@dandy.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:53:58 +0000
At 07:18 PM 5/15/2007 -0400, Yuri Onipko wrote:
>Great site, Jamie.
>Just one thing.
>Strange ranking IMO, to say the least.
>Some well known world top contesters like VE3EJ, CT1BOH, N6TJ, N9RV, N2NT
>and others didn't even make it to top 20.
>
>Oh, well. Just another ranking I guess.

His ranking structure is based on the prior year's contest results. If
those above didn't place last year, then they didn't make the cut(s) for
this year, regardless of their performance two or more years ago; see the
sidebar to the right on the page http://www.radio-sport.net/world.htm

"The radio-sport.net rankings are a rolling total - that is, when the
newest results are released for a certain contest, they replace the
previous year's results from that same contest."

Personally, I think that's a realistic way to rank contesters in
"realtime". It also allows new contesters the opportunity to make a big
splash within a year.

Of course, an overall, all-time ranking can also be created to account for
past performance.

Steve, K0XP