Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beating

To: "Mike Fatchett W0MU" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beating
From: "Tom McAlee" <tom@klient.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 00:48:42 -0400
I noticed that as well.  Not surprisingly, I noticed that it coincided with
spots that were off.  If someone spotted us 200Hz off, it was a safe bet
that many of the next callers would be 200Hz off.  They just click-and-shoot
in their logging software without zero-beating.

I think this is partially because of the rounding done when sending spots.
For example, if your TX frequency is 14035.19 and you have CT send a spot,
it will send it as 14035.1.  Taking that into account with the fact that
S&Pers could easily be off 100Hz on their own, those 300Hz filters are just
too narrow sometimes.

The casual ops often don't have those kind of filters or the ability to
distinguish 100Hz in frequency.  And, we need to work them at lot more than
they need to work us!

73,
Tom, NI1N  (M/2 during WPX as KD4D at N3HBX)