[CQ-Contest] remember this? Russian Woodpecker

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] remember this? Russian Woodpecker
From: "Larry Schimelpfenig" <k7sv@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:15:10 -0400
>Not even close to largest antenna; both
>NAA Cutler ME and NLK Jim Creek WA had
>(have?) miles of antennas for 14.7KHz for
>submarine communications.

Both antenna systems are incredibly impressive.I visited the Jim Creek
Station at Marysville WA in the mid 70s. The antenna is supported between
large pylons betwen three mountain tops. Huge wires from each pylon met at
the center of the three pylons where they intersected with a huge cable that
dropped to the valley floor.

During our visit, they explained that they had been unsuccessful in
developing an insulator to pass through the wall of the helix building to
feed the antenna. They ended up knocking the end out of the building and
running the antenna directly to the helix.

They also discussed replacing elements in the finals and pumping the vacuum.
All components were just humongous!

73 De Lar K7SV