Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesters and LOTW

To: <lotw-help@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesters and LOTW
From: "Paul Cassel" <paul@ve3sy.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:08:09 -0400
This email is addressed to the LoTW desk and copied to CQ Contest ref

As a very recent first time user of LoTW, I find there is a major lack of
help files and examples for the 1st time user.

After uploading my log to LoTW, and looking at my awards page, I could see
the country counts however there was nothing to help understand the table as
to what the SELECTED and APPLIED columns were for. And while the Applying
for Credits help page is extensive... it assumes that the first time user
understands what the various DXCC credit could be.  For instance, when I
first tried to use the application it suggested clicking the Select All box
to highlight all of the Qs listed below.  There was no indication why these
Qs were selected or why there were so many..... well in excess of total DXCC
entities.  I now realize these referenced per band and mode but this is not
explained.

Now all of you guys who have been there and used the LoTW probably are
saying - where is this guy from.... but think back to when you first set up
your account and I'm sure you will recall how user unfriendly it was.

After spending a lot of time playing and experimenting, I now have a
reasonable handle on the system and agree it works well however the league
really needs to show small screen captures with some explanation tags.

Possibly a selection at the start of the LoTW DXCC application letting the
user select the template to use such as   'Seasoned User' or 'New User' with
the new user being more detailed with examples.   And on the Awards page
have a link to show what the various columns of the table reference.

As every one is stating here, the LoTW is a wonderful tool - it just needs
to provide some first time help for the new users.

Paul, VE3SY, a LoTW Newbie