Re: [CQ-Contest] [dx-list] CQ Zone question

To: w9sz@prairienet.org, dx-list@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [dx-list] CQ Zone question
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 08:45:07 -0700
Back in 1986, I was a team member of a Oceanographic Expedition whose marine
leg,  started in Resolute, Cornwallis Island, Canada.  Went east through
Lancaster Sound,  Transected Baffin Bay,  went through Nares Strait, Kennedy
Channel,  to  Northern tip of Greenland, measuring ocean  temperature,
salinity, ice coverage, and bathymetry.

For some reason,  we became very interested in the Ocean there, after the
then Soviet Union surfaced a Boomer submarine through the ice cover, at the
north pole. Some of the Scientific Party Visited Alert, on the Northern tip
of Baffin Island.

I felt  an intense sense of remoteness, forbidding territory, comfort was
found in the warm, air conditioning, showers, wet bar,  and reasonable food
in the Sir John Franklin, our Canadian Ice Breaker/Research Ship
Tried to understand the motivations for early arctic exploration, due to the
danger involved.

I looked up Resolute on the web and found this site:

http://www.brosha.com/resolute/links.html
Local:
I bet life is very expensive there, including communications.  I see there
are some Hotels there, with internet connectivity, probably Satellite.

What say, the DXing/Contesting communities engage someone in Resolute, to
encourage them in  getting a ham license and operating.
You might also encourage that person to set up a commercial and ham HF based
E-mail system.

Perhaps one the Inuit Hotel owners could see the benefit of setting up a ham
station at the hotel, as it would perhaps attract some ham
DXpeditioning/Contesting.   Using it for their own use, as well as guests.

Offer to supply donated equipment, and assistance with studying materials
for acquiring a ham license.  I am sure any lower cost connectivity would be
vastly appreciated, as well as ham radio for its own sake for easing the
remote lifestyle, of anyone living in Resolute.

If the DX/Contest community musters enough interest, I will offer to head
the project to contact folks in Resolute, put the word out, and find
interested Resolute residents to get their licenses, and get on the air, and
coordinate any subsequent shipments of donated ham gear for them to set up a
station, perhaps a "Resolute Ham Radio Club Station"

What Say?

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team
http://www.cq-vhf.com