Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP - Operating off the continent?

To: "Kyle Chavis" <wa4pgm@nelsoncable.com>,<bob@reconstructinghistory.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP - Operating off the continent?
From: "Kelly Jones" <kjones@virtualcohesion.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 15:24:26 -0000
Bob,

I'm not a big time contester by any stretch of the imagination and
usually just lurk on this reflector.  However, I was in your shoes
several years ago.  Being a Dxer, I had always dreamed of being on the
"other end".

I had always played in contests, but had the opportunity to be part of a
team on VP5 in 2004 for CQWW SSB.  Of course the Dxer in me jumped on
the chance.  In fact, Kyle (below) was part of that team and we've
become good friends (and in fact are going back to PJ4 together this
year for CQWW).

Anyway, my wife has no interest in ham radio either.  But she knows it's
important to me and lets me do pretty much whatever I want.  I like to
take her to the islands when I go just so she can get out of the house.
Each year I go somewhere for CQWW, but we have been going to VP5 for the
past several years for the ARRL 10m contest.  As another reply
mentioned, you can work the contest during the day and spend time with
the XYL during the evenings.  She can do shopping, go to the beach, etc.
while you're playing radio during the day and then have the opportunity
to spend time together at night.  It works well.  In 2005 I placed #2
World and in 2006 I managed #3 World in my respective classes, despite
awful propagation.

Alternatively, you could be part of a M/x on an island and only schedule
yourself for limited operating hours.  That way you can participate in a
major, but not be tied down for the full 48 hours.

Playing radio on the "other" end is a thrill.  There are certainly ways
to make it work for the both of you - keep chasing that dream.

73
Kelly - N0VD