Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R in the CW Sprint
From: rt_clay@bellsouth.net
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:29:41 +0000
I spent a long time doing the Sprint SO1R, but my scores have really improved
since I started doing SO2R. Maybe also now having 4/4 monobanders on 20m and
gain on the low bands has helped as well :)

In my view the biggest advantage is that you can adjust to changing conditions
(propagation + the activity on each band) almost instantly. If you are having
trouble finding guys to work on a band, call cq there more often, and do more
S&P on another band. This time I started out on both 20/40, but also was on
20/80 relatively early for a while.

I think that if you have good propagation (no skip zone problems), SO1R can do
nearly as well. But if 20m (and maybe 40m) has gone long as is common from the
middle of the country (esp in Feb), SO1R is at a BIG disadvantage. With SO2R
you can usually work some weak guys via scatter on 20m after the hordes have
left. Yes, you can go up there SO1R, but then you are missing guys on the low
bands.

Now if I could just get the MS mult I might make top ten :)

Tor
N4OGW/5