Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptop and Contesting Software

To: "Zack Widup" <w9sz@prairienet.org>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptop and Contesting Software
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:47:07 -0400
When I needed laptop a couple of years ago for our dxpedition
to Gitmo KG4DZ/KG4ZO  I got one from  east coast laptops.
Try  www.eastcoastlaptops.com they have lots of IBM, Dell, Toshibas at good
prices.  These are machines that come off lease after 2 or 3 years. They
have the computer servicing contract for a number of big companies.  When
they
get them off lease they REFURB em and make sure everything works.
I have purchased several of them, Two IBM's and Dell..  They come with a 90
day warranty but.........they don't guarantee the battery. Great for your
kids going to college.  2 of them had batteries that were good for 45
minutes.  the third one  (after I fully charged itovernight ) lasted for
about 20
minutes.  Since I rarely use these machines on battery this was not a
problem.  You can get OEM replacement batteries on E-bay and other websites
cheaply  I have 2 of the thinkpads and can get those replacement batteries
for about $48 apiece.   You have to ASK, but  East coast laptops will
usually throw in a carrying case. In some cases they will give you a toshiba
carrying case for a Dell computer etc but the important thing there is that
it  FITS. They also have used parts and used memory.  I had an IBM cd rom
drive fail after a month.  They didn't ask for it back and just sent me a
replacement overnight mail that same day.

Their website tells you how many of each model they have in stock.  If you
need something specific, they can probably tell you when what you need will
be coming in off lease.

73

Chet N4FX