[CQ-Contest] FW: Hy Gain Tailtwister

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] FW: Hy Gain Tailtwister
From: "wmills" <waynen7ng@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:30:17 -0600
There's another slow-start mechanism that I experienced with my Tail
Twister. (Please excuse the bandwidth if this is common knowledge.)

If starting first in the opposite direction doesn't work, slow starting may
be caused by a bad starting capacitor. HOWEVER, it may be more likely that
the problem is caused by another brake that I was not familiar with.

It seems that the Tail Twister motor has a small felt disc on the rotor (NOT
ROTATOR) shaft that slows the motor after power has been removed. When power
is applied, the rotor moves up, against gravity, through a solenoid action
this lifts the rotor off the felt disc. When power is removed, the rotor
falls back due to gravity and rests on the felt, causing friction and
slowing the rotor quickly.

After some 10 years of service, the felt in my rotator disintegrated and
jammed, causing permanent friction. (Credit goes to the repair facility. The
felt was so jammed I couldn't tell what it was.)

The solution was to replace the motor. Unfortunately, a Tail Twister motor
was unavailable, so I replaced it with a Ham IV motor, which apparently
identical except for the felt brake design.

Now, the only problem I have with my Tail Twister is...a sticking brake -- a
problem which seems to have been made worse by seven years of inactivity. I
suppose maintenance (maybe a little lubrication) more often than every ten
years would be good...

73, Wayne, N7NG
Jackson, Wyoming