Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number advice

To: "John Geiger" <n5ten@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut number advice
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry.hull@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:09:18 -0500
I used NN VT instead of 99 VT.   I got asked for a lot of fills.
I found this strange... N for 9 is VERY common.  If I sent NN as
the fill, they get it immediately.

... then there are the other guys who send 006 as the serial number!
Every leading zero is a waste of bandwidth, cut or not.

73, Gerry, W1VE (N1VT is this SS)

On 11/4/07, John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi BOb,
>
> I set up the keyer in my FT920 to use T for 0 but kept
> getting repeats on the NR today.  I guess that most
> people weren't expecting to hear a T at the beginning
> of a number. I changed it back to zero, and had far
> fewer repeats.  Some parts of contesting are really
> trial and error.
>
> 73s John AA5JG
>
> --- AD5VJ  Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > I just went through many hours of ss not
> > understanding why I was getting so many repeats.
> > Since my logging applications lets me
> > decide whether to use all cut numbers or just the T
> > for 0 I decided to change it from all cut numbers to
> > using only the T.
> >
> > I have not had a repeat since.
> >
> > Not sure why but it seems no one is looking for cut
> > numbers to be sent in place of real ones.
> >
> > So I suggest if your using cut numbers in your
> > serial exchanges, you might want to consider not
> > using them anymore.
> >
> > It may increase your rate.
> >
> >   73 fer nw es gud DX,
> > QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
> > Bob AD5VJ
> > http://www.ad5vj.com/
> >
> > Member:
> > NTCC, CTDXCC, STXDXCC
> > 10X#-37210, SMIRK#-5177
> > FISTS#-12637, SKCC#-2369
> > NAQCC#-1966, FP#-1141, RARS#-149

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM
Explore real-time competition in ham radio - post your score to
http://www.getscores.org!