[CQ-Contest] Cut numbers and Check

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cut numbers and Check
From: Ken Adams K5KA <k5ka@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 22:39:53 -0600
Although cut numbers are used often in the big DX contests, it is rare
to hear a cut number in SS, and it most likely introduces some level of
uncertainty for the receiver.  Since no part of the SS exchange can be
taken for granted (ie; 5NN) almost all the contestants are probably
expecting to hear a full number at the right time of the exchange.  I
would recommend not using cut numbers.

There has been a rebirth of the discussion about what to send as your
Check.  The rules say to send the year of your first license and that is
a good practice.  Granted, what you send will not be validated by any
scoring authority, but why not just use the year of your first license.
And for those who got licensed in 00 - 09, thank you for sending me the
leading zero.  It avoided a request for a repeat.  BTW, I worked (1)
check of 07 and a few 06's this year ... very nice to see.

73, Ken K5KA