Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 59, Issue 13

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 59, Issue 13
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 09:47:05 -0500
Bob:

Maybe I'm a lid, probably I'm a lid, maybe even definitely a lid, but
when I heard cut numbers mixed in with International Morse numbers I
always asked for fills during this sweepsteaks (well, at least 99.44+%
of the time.)  One LID was mixing thing up so much that, even after I
knew I got the exchange correct, I kept asking him for fills until he
sent everything in International Morse.  Trying to receive 3TN, or even
3T9 instead of 309 when one is expecting a series of numbers requires a
shift of paradigm.  The few brain cells left between the ears of this
olde NTS message handler doesn't handle such things very well.

One other thing which irks me is folks who insist in sending "T" as the
first character when they were sending a 1 or 2 digit exchange number.
IF they want to send a zero, which is definitely NOT needed, they're not
interested in maximizing rate, so why not send a zero?

If the exchange were 599 S/P/C  or 599 ITUZONE etc., as it is in many DX
contest, then it's much easier to understand 5NN ITUZONE.   But, there's
enough inconsistency in what is sent during a Sweepsteaks exchange so
why confuse the issue with abbreviations mixed in with numbers?

73 de n8xx Hg