Re: [CQ-Contest] Shut down the clusters during a contest. SImple.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Shut down the clusters during a contest. SImple.
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:55:59 -0000
Let me try to answer this. It has been answered before but for some unknown
reason it seems to fall on deaf ears. I am ex-packet-cluster sysop from the
earliest days of packet clusters. The packet cluster system was designed and
implemented as a contesting aid. It's primary use was to find/spot the
harder to get multipliers. During non-contest periods a side benefit of the
clusters was DX spots. So asking sysops to shut off a system that was
designed to be used in contests is a little ludicrous.
The packet-cluster system is a valuable tool in contesting not only for the
guys who use it but also for the guys who benefit from being spotted thereby
increasing their scores.
I'll use my friend Jim, N6TJ, as an example: While Jim is one of the premier
contesters those big scores he has racked up at D4 & ZD8 are partly a result
continuous packet-cluster spots. Jim's signal was always so good even guys
with poor antennas could always hear him and therefore he got would get
spotted continuously. Prior to the advent of the packet-clusters 2 meter
spotting nets were used for the same purpose.
To use the previous speeding analogy from Dallas, W3PP, if everyone is
speeding take away the gasoline. Everyone could still have their cars they
just couldn't speed. Shutting down the packet-clusters make just about as
much sense.
Let's find an incentive to bring back honesty/integrity to contesting.
Again my -2cents worth....
73

MAL
N7MAL