Re: [CQ-Contest] Quads and SO2R

To: Alfred Frugoli <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quads and SO2R
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:18:31 -0800
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 01:31:44PM -0500, Alfred Frugoli wrote:

> In the recent NCJ article by K0SR about Quad construction, he mentions that
> the best way to feed a quad is to feed each band independently and use a
> switch mounted on the mast to select bands.  Has anybody used a triband quad
> on 2 bands simultaneously (obviously with proper filtering)?

This should work.  At 100 watts it should be pretty easy to
do with decent bandpass filters and good radios.  It is
harder with 1500 watts.

Back when I was still a fairly new ham I had a Gem Quad with three
feedlines.  I remember one 10 meter contest we were using 300-400
watts and one of my ops had a Sunday morning CW sked on 20 meters.  So
he brought over his radio and made it - I think we were all suprised
that it pretty much worked out.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net