Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] DUMB CUT NUMBER
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:31:53 -0800
Steve, K0XP, wrote:

>It's up to the RECEIVER to interpret what's sent as a power level.

NO, NO, NO.  The responsibility for ALL communication FIRST resides with the
Sender - in any venue (ham radio or not).  This is why software manuals and
alleged 'Help' files have been notoriously dysfunctional - it all FIRST
begins with the Sender.  We have too many selfish senders who aren't
considering the consequences of their misguided thinking upon MULTIPLE
recipients.  Period.

>It's up to the transmitter to send his power level in a format that can be
easily and quickly interpreted and logged so he doesn't have to repeat it.
All the rules say is send your power level: they do not >stipulate whether
you must spell it out in Farsi, English, nor even whether you must send
numbers or can send cut numbers: just the power level.

NO, NO, NO.  It is FIRST the responsibility of the Contest Sponsors to stop
the madness and cast some things in stone.  Sorry, but receiving a power
level of AK or some other off-the-wall crap is not my responsibility to stop
everything and try to interpret a misguided Sender's personal creativity.
Contest Sponsors need to CLEARLY state WITHIN THE RULES what cut numbers are
permitted for power level substitution purposes if anything other than
traditional full numbers.  Better yet,  BAN the cut numbers of simplify the
exchange to a single "dit" (that would give everyone more time for many more
QSOs).

The Contest Sponsors can solve this problem if they don't piddle around like
with other issues they have historically either remained silent or continued
to sit on the fence about.  Period.

This is also the most LOGICAL solution.

73.

Rick, K6VVA