Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Sprint QSY rule

To: "'Tim Holmes'" <w8tahradio@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY Sprint QSY rule
From: "Sandy Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:13:23 -0600
The QSY rule is the one rule in contesting that really tests an operator's
skill. You can't park on a frequency for a weekend and run rate.

You're wrong when you say you cannot CQ. You can, for however long it takes
to work a station, but you can only work one station from that CQ. (If the
station you work couldn't CQ, how would you have found him?)

In the weekly NS sprint, which employs the QSY rule, stations routinely
score high 50s or high 60s in QSO counts... IN A HALF HOUR OF CONTESTING.

Which is why a CW sprint sequence goes like this:

CQ de ve4xt
Kc1x
Kc1x de ve4xt 12 kelly mb
Ve4xt 14 john ct kc1x
W4AU
(here is where kc1x has made his CQ)
W4au kc1x 15 john ct
Kc1x 29 john ga w4au
(that is, essentially, w4au's cq)
Kt1r
Kt1r w4au 30 john ga
W4au 16 bill nh kt1r...

And so on.

You S&P to station a, work station a and take over the frequency, you then
work station b and now must leave the frequency while station b gets his one
CQ. The sequence is set up so that the station who has the right to work
another on that frequency sends his call as the last part of his exchange
(the rules say you have to send both calls with the exchange).

The QSY rule makes a sprint contest the most intense form of contesting:
there's no running the CQ machine and waiting for a call. You have to grab
that big knob and turn it for a change. It tests your ability to S&P
effectively, as you only get one shot at the CQing station.

73, Kelly
Ve4xt