[CQ-Contest] Skimmer: ...and if it quacks like a duck...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer: ...and if it quacks like a duck...
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 10:42:56 +0000 (GMT)
I am really enjoying this thread.  I haven't laughed so much, and scratched my
head so much,
and wondered if I am being "put on" so much in a very long time.

Let's try another approach:

Walk into the shack of contester during the contest.  What you see (how the guy
operates)
will be very clearly different based upon whether or not the guy is using
packet/internet/
spotting networks or not.

While both (for the most competitive and success [score] ops) are clearly
tuning the band and
running (SO2R), one group (assisted) are getting callsigns and the frequencies
associated
with those calls fed to them.  It's sort of like magic; they know just where to
go and who
to expect (I'll graciously assume that they wait to copy the callsign on their
own before
calling and certainly before logging the Q).

Now try the same comparison with Skimmer in place.  Which one of the above does
skimmer
look like?  I think it will look a lot (entirely?) like the guy using
packet/internet/spotting net.

So for me, irrespective of the source of the "help" (meaning advisement of
calls and QRGs),
skimmer and packet/internet/spotting nets both look identical in terms of HOW
the contester
is actually operating his station.

So if we accept that "Assisted" is a separate category, then (for me) the above
analysis only
further demonstrates where skimmer belongs (in the Assisted category).

I can't wait to see the replies...I am really loving this one!  Maybe "Loud is
good" but
"Fun is Good" also applies!

de Doug KR2Q

PS  I would urge that comments stay away from chiding those using assistance as
being
necessarily "lazy."  I would have a very hard time visualizing K3WW or KI1G as
being a "lazy"
contester.